When accessing content use the numbers below to guide you:
brief, basic information laid out in an easy-to-read format. May use informal language. (Includes most news articles)
provides additional background information and further reading. Introduces some subject-specific language.
lengthy, detailed information. Frequently uses technical/subject-specific language. (Includes most analytical articles)
- All waves will reflect and refract in the right circumstances. The reflection and refraction of light explains how people see images, colour and even optical illusions.
- When waves encounter new mediums, barriers, or other waves they can behave in different ways.
- Refraction is the bending of light (it also happens with sound, water and other waves) as it passes from one transparent substance into another.
Example of Books
- The Physics book Written in plain English, The Physics Book is packed with short, pithy explanations that cut through the jargon, step-by-step diagrams that untangle knotty theories, memorable quotes, and witty illustrations that enhance and play with our understanding of physics.Call Number: 530 PHYISBN: 9780241412725Publication Date: 2020
- The Handy Physics Answer Book by Eschewing the usual mathematical explanations for physics phenomena, this approachable reference explains complicated scientific concepts in plain English that everyone can understand. This handbook supplies answers on the physics of everyday life and examines the developments in the exploration of subatomic particles. In addition to the question-and-answer section, an addendum of facts about physicists explains what the Nobel prize is and who has won it, and tells the story of the scientist who was incarcerated for agreeing with Copernicus.Call Number: 530 PITISBN: 9781578593057Publication Date: 2011-02-01
- Light by Light looks a the fascinating nature of light, how it's measured, and how it behaves. The book examines some of the exciting ways that light is being used in medicine, astronomy, and communications. Finally, Light discusses what the study of the most distant light in space tells us about the origin and future of the universe.Call Number: 535 SMUISBN: 9780431081106Publication Date: 2008